PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Pilot Job And Type Rating
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2015, 12:24
Amadis of Gaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the airplane is actually called Westwind, not Westgate, but let's not sweat the small stuff...

Originally Posted by From rome

I will have to pay for my type rating at Flight Safety in Wilmington (they will give me the money back during the 2 years contract that i am about to sign); I have some concerns regarding the type rating on this A/C... since my low hours I been suggest from the HR to do a SIC course (that i will still pay full price as a TR) and eventually when I feel comfortable finish the TR, she suggested this path because in case of a failure of one of the exams they will have to cancel the contract for insurance policy. I am not sure is a good idea anyway..
A lot of red flags in that statement. I happen to have a fairly big problem with expecting people to pay for their own training, but let's leave that out of the discussion for now. The biggest problem I see with what you describe is what would prevent them from firing you in, say, 22 months, and thus not have to pay you back for your training? They can then hire another guy, make him pay for his own training, keep him 22 months and so on....

As regards to PIC vs SIC type, I don't know what the IA-Jet curriculum is, but I can't imagine there's much difference between those courses (especially since they're the same price), so if you're not ready for one, you're probably not ready for the other either.

I also can't imagine a Westwind type rating would be in much demand, should you and this company part ways, so you'll have paid for something nobody is going to want (potentially).