PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non Squawking Russian Bomber Fly Around UK Airspace..
Old 30th Jan 2015, 11:22
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
This may be of interest to those who've read BEagle's link - Vincennes: A Case Study | U.S. Naval Institute

I must admit that I thought Rogers retired as a Captain. I have no idea how accurate he was in thinking this, but about 10-12 years ago, a USN officer of my acquaintance speculated that the initial 'it must be the Iranians' fault' approach had been rushed out, it became impossible to CM the Captain and he was instead given a decent final tour before being eased out of the door. (Said USN officer was in the 'WTF was he not court-martialled?' camp).

The boss of the USS Sides was rather unimpressed and displayed a certain amount of testicular fortitude in making his views clear...

https://microeconomics.files.wordpre...roceedings.pdf (the formatting is a bit awkward because of the way the original publication laid out its letters, but if you know this you can pick your way through). Needless to say, David Carlson didn't make Admiral either...