PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Churchill's Funeral
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2015, 10:00
The Oberon

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HB,
Lots of memories, I, along with about 10 others were at Marham having been Locking Brats until about 6 weeks previously. We were dead ringers as we still had no hair to talk about, our No.1s and greatcoats were in good nick and we were all reasonably adept at slinging an Enfield .303 about.

A few days before he died we were bussed to Bassingbourn were we spent a few days on the square learning the intricacies of route lining, rest on arms reversed and other movements we hadn't used before.

On the announcement of his death we then went to Woolwich Barracks, 72 man rooms, triple bunks with about 18 ins. between them, 2 WCs, 2 washbasins and 1 bath per room. The other thing about it was that it became an 100th. Entry reunion as all the other units had sent their newly passed out apprentices along.

At some ungodly hour on the day we were bussed to various marshalling points on the funeral route from which we were marched to our allocated areas, the Marham contingent were just outside Cannon Row tube station, after about an hour standing in the gutter I heard familiar voices behind me, somehow my mum and younger brother had found me and decided to stay.

The parade itself was incredible, one thing that did stand out was the gun crew, everyone else was in greatcoats but the gun crew just had their normal rigs with gaiters and boots. It made me wonder if the Navy had greatcoats but I later found out that their Lordships had defied everyone and said that they would parade minus coats.

Ref. the flypast, 16 Lightnings flew down the river over the barge carrying Churchill's coffin.

One of the 2 occasions of my 22 years that I will never forget.

Last edited by The Oberon; 1st Feb 2015 at 08:42. Reason: Could't spell Bassingbourn