PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Short-Field experience (on jet types)
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2015, 06:00
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We do operate a C680 (13,7 tonnes) in and out of a 3323ft LDA/3675ft TODA airfield with a 4° approach with LOC and RNAV approach to one side only. No real RESAs adn obstacles on either side, main ldg direction has an elevated 6 lane road right before the THR. We use 1,25 as factor, the runway is grooved which makes a hell of a difference. We usually have like 300 mtrs to spare when we leave the rwy (RAAS tells me !)

At that field there are 2 C560s, our C680, 2 Phenom 300, 2 CL300s, couple of CJs, a LJ45, a F2000 and - pilots with huge balls - a LJ35. Thats been there for ages, me thinks something like 30 years now.

Can be interesting at times (yes, landing at night or with gusty crosswinds), but...

the only accident we had there was a COMMERCIALLY operated TP (Factor 1,43) landing way into the runway and crashing in an earth wall. A/P was totaled, only minor injuries to pax and crew. Daytime and perfect WX.

So even when an factor is applied, one can screw up.

BTW, landing distances in the AFM are done by test pilots, but with brakes worn to the minimum. (I was told) So there still is a margin in these numbers itself plus the reversers (which are so slow to open on my airplane that you donīt really use em anyway), should your kite have em...
Correction (See CL300s post #27):

Worn down to the limit ONLY for the certification of MTOM RTO. For the rest of the landings, a value is inserted in the cloud of data.
Do I like that airfield ? Hell no. It has less margins, clearly, than, say, Manchester...still one can operate in and outta there without being a cowboy. But it pays my bills. And before found guilty of letting my bosses pressure lure me into that airfield: no. I spent an hour in front of the managing board explaining why that airfield is less safe than others and why we will end up in certain conditions not landing there. Which we sometimes do.

THAT decision making is why we are paid, IMHO....

And they do know why we canīt haul full loads out of there.

We very often go with small full loads, do a fuel stop and then carry on to our far destinations. We use the book numbers/APG/Type Achart to determine what we can do there. My main concern is bird strike on T/O, not landing (remember these 2 poor sods in that LF45 in LIML a few years back? Both killed, multiple bird strikes in both engines - our airfield has a wealth of wild life, rabbits, birds up to Herons and sea gulls)

Last but not least: Iīm definitely no sky god, at best Iīm an averagely skilled aviator. My colleague - whom I consider a far better pilot than I am - dislikes landing at our homebase and usually asks not to have to. He 'grew up' going from big airfields to big airfields in jets. I OTOH started flying on KingAirs, in which we did fly to a lot of real small airfields. Did that for 8 years before I got my first Jet rating. Experience does make a difference IMO.

Last edited by His dudeness; 30th Jan 2015 at 07:14. Reason: Sbellink / correction