PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is: Flying VFR into IMC?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2015, 03:03
YPJT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember as a newly qualified IFR rated pilot flying a BE55 with very few hours on type.
Departed straight into IMC and whilst the flying itself wasn't overly difficult, the nav and comm workload of going straight into class C airspace was more than I could comfortably handle at the time. It wasn't until I got a friendly nudge on the headset from Pearce Centre .."errr *** confirm tracking direct to Jurien". I guess the fact that I was probably about 60deg off heading had them a bit worried. Aviate, navigate, communicate - never truer words spoken.

Another time, long before I had done IR I was VFR on top and decided I wanted to get back down below it without fully appreciating my exact location. Did a very nice cruise descent only find myself about 500' above tree tops. Power back to full, establish in the climb and back on top of the stuff until I found a break in the cloud. NEVER did that again.

So for my .02c worth, there are so many things that can bite (read kill) you by blissfully committing yourself to flying in IMC without proper training, instrumentation and preparation.