PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 30th Jan 2015, 02:08
HEALY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
While not on the 320, I do fly airbus and maybe its worth putting some points out regarding the last bit of leaked info. My interpretation may not be perfect and may even be incorrect for the 320 however...

The airbus does not have Circuit Breakers (except for a number in the Electrical Control Area beneath the cockpit). The airbus has Reset buttons. Wether you want to argue that its the same thing but that's what they are called. It allows the many multitude of computers that run the different systems to be disconnected, then after resetting allow a boot up of the system. My interpretation is that a CB wont necessarily reboot a system but rather just cut the power to it.

Airbus designed these reset buttons too not just cut the power but also enable the system once reset to "start again". Many issues found on the ground are fixed by just resetting the system. Not always the case but a "get out of jail card" in some respects.

The important thing to remember with reset buttons is that they may be restrictions on when they can be used and a reset performed. Some systems can be rebooted on the ground or also in the air, some may even need the engines off. Airbus provides a Quick Reference Handbook which has a section on computer resets, it will tell you of any restrictions imposed on resetting a certain system.

Wether or not some frantic button pushing of the Flight Control Computers were going to save the day it would be interesting to know wether correct interpretation of these resets and its consequences may off set off a chain reaction.