PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C206 Hire and Fly
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2015, 00:13
iPahlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really? From what I've seen employers are concerned about type. That magic '200 series' time seems to be their soft spot.
A 185 has the same seating capacity and engine as a 206 and 210, it's just wrapped in a narrower fuse with a little wheel on it's tail that will bite anyone with lazy feet.

There are quite a number of CP's out there that will consider someone with demonstrated stick and rudder skills over someone who just spent their money doing a cross country in a 200 series. You can teach any monkey to fly a 200 series.

Despite popular belief amongst many a young player, 206's and 210's are not hard to fly. And if I hear one more person tell me that 206's are difficult to land...

Most flying schools just do not do a good job of training their students to handle proper cross winds (No, 8-10kt's into a 1500m strip is not going to prepare you for what you will encounter in the bush) and short, unsealed strips, so when you see someone come through the door that's flown an aircraft that requires discipline when flying, especially during a crosswinds then it's a bit of a no-brainer. (To me at least)

If I saw someone come through the door with 25 hours doing cross countries between large airports in a 206 or 210 vs. someone with 10 hours in something like a 180, 185, Pawnee etc, I know who I would give a check flight to first.

You'll be doing ICUS for a while after starting anyway, so the insurance requirements are going to be met anyway.

All of the above are my own opinions and I know some people may not agree, and some operators will want "time on type", while others want/prefer people who have demonstrated that they've tried to further their flying abilities.