PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 29th Jan 2015, 21:01
ventus45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FDR - would the investigators please leak - "last recorded altitude"

I said very early on, when we first saw the ruptured pressure bulkhead, that the aircraft probably broke up, in the last few seconds, in the air, from overload, in a desperate pull-up.

I still think so, and I think the latest "information" could support that view.

The latest "information" - is that the "critical" computers were allegedly" switched off in the last few seconds.
That, if true, seems to me, to be consistent with a desperate last ditch attempt to force direct law.

How many seconds ? 5, 10, 15, 20 seconds ? The time is crucial.

Consider this hypothesis.
Out of control descending at around 12,000 feet per minute (to keep the numbers realisticly simple), which is 200 feet per second.
As best I can fathom, from weather reports at the time, local cloud base was probably about (verry rubbery) 1600 feet.

So, pop out of cloud - now visual, (it was just after local dawn) - 8 seconds to impact.

You, me, and every other pilot who has ever flown anything, are of course just going to sit there, fat dumb and happy, and just kiss our arses good-night.

Sure we will.

The other "information" that is out there, is interesting, not from what it said, but most pointedly, from what it did not say.

It is said that the fdr and cvr both stopped.

Two questions.

1. Did they stop simultaneously ?
(they were both mounted on the frames next to the missing ruptured sector of the pressure bulkhead).
(refer to the graphic showing the rupture outline on an installed bulkhead at post 1702 http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...ml#post8819798)

2. What was the last recorded altitude ?
It will of couse be recorded as qnn, but we can convert it to local qnh from the met records.
Was it FL016, FL015, ..14, ..13, ..12, ..11, ..10, ..09, ..08, ....................... 01, ..00 ?

I may still be wrong of course.

Last edited by ventus45; 29th Jan 2015 at 21:16.