PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former RAF Church Fenton
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2015, 14:35
pwalhx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your desire for a Yorkshire International Airport is laudable, but the one factor that has not been mentioned is the vast majority either don't care or don't want it. I am afraid you are in danger of swimming against the tide. I don't recall much mention in the Yorkshire Post or local business magazines any clamour for a new 'Leeds' airport or have I heard anything on Calendar or Look North. I attend a lot of meetings including the Northern Futures and do not recall it being a subject that has been mentioned at all.

The North has too many airports, and despite your contention that Finningley wasn't the answer, Finningley was touted to be exactly what you wanted and has hardly set the world on fire.

As has also been said hindsight is the only exact science, Heathrow would not have been built where it was, Manchester and Liverpool would have built on the former 5 runway USAAF base at Burtonwood and Yeadon would not be the airport for Leeds but there it is and despite your desperate wish for it to change it won't.

I live in Yorkshire, pay my taxes here and I would much rather any money available was spent on other projects than an airport that has no guarantee of being the success you wish it would be in a location that would be no more convenient for me.

Manchester will I am afraid remain the major gateway for the North of England and the flights you desire this side of the Pennines to DXB/EWR etc have already gone to Newcastle.

Last edited by pwalhx; 29th Jan 2015 at 14:49.