PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SR22 Parachute Deployment - Remarkable Video
Old 29th Jan 2015, 12:46
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be very scared of catching a wingtip in one of those swells and cartwheeling in at 60 KTS.

IMHO there is absolutely no reason not to pull in these circumstances as the video of the landing clearly demonstrates. Why risk it?
Indeed, the parachute was a good idea in this case. I did say:

If I were regularly crossing very large expanses of rough ocean, or totally unlandable terrain in a single engined wheel plane, I would probably share this view. The success of the parachute use in this event is obvious
That said, though it worked, I'm not convinced that this type of aircraft was intended to be regularly operated over large expanses of rough ocean.

Certainly, a safety feature is just that, and a good thing, if you feel it is cost effective, and use it correctly. A sound combination of safety equipment, and the training to fly safely in general, and use the safety equipment you have appropriately is ideal, and an airframe parachute may be a part of that. But, equal safety can be achieved without it too, if other factors affecting a safe return to earth are well managed.