PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Short-Field experience (on jet types)
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2015, 12:20
Encorebaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regardless of the size/shape of the airfield to be used we always brief exactly how we are going to cope prior to attempting it. This brief will obviously be different whether we are operating in/out of Shoreham or Heathrow. The brief should always centre on the items of interest to be expected, ie short/narrow runway etc and how we intend to get the job done safely. It's perfectly acceptable to miss the 'easy' feeling occasionally so long as you are not operating out of your limits, commercially or privately the end of the runway will treat the aircraft in the same way. All approaches are stable to touch down and perspective issues can mess with your mind but these are issues that we as professionals deal with. I suppose, in my opinion I think that instead of looking for short feild experience (which suggests all sorts of 'operating on the limit of both man and machine' issues) in the advert, perhaps simply omitting this as a pointless item and instead check out the prospective pilots log book. Most GA pilots have a rounded experience.

Personally, having ventured into both Shoreham and LA Mole with Jets I would be far happier going somewhere else simply because the law of averages means I can't guarantee a perfect approach every time.