PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Noise Abatement advice for Skydiving
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2015, 05:33
Miserlou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obviously, I have no sympathy with anyone who moves into a home near an airfield and then complains about noise.

There is also a problem with noise measuring. Aircraft have their sound levels measured and recorded on a 'noise' certificate. 'Noise' is unwanted sound.

Most people thought the 3 bladed turboprop I was flying was less noisy than the 4 bladed turboprop also in use at a skydiving field in Germany. The fact was simply that the lower frequency of the 3 blades was less irritating than the higher pitch of the 4 blades. The noise certificate said the 3 blades were noisier then 4.

My SOP for dropping from 14,000 was to take off and turn to a heading and fly in a straight line to 7-8000 and then turn back to line up on the jump line. Descent was always just a spiral following or close to the circuit.
On the subsequent lifts I would adjust the outbound climb heading by 100 degrees each time so spreading and minimising the exposure as much as possible.
If the straight line is limited by airspace, you just fly out to the limit of your space and fly along it before turning back.

Neighbours and visitors were mostly grateful for the consideration.

Furthermore, there was never any cause for max power take-offs. I'd always wind the prop back to climb power as I lined up on the runway.