PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sleep aids
Thread: Sleep aids
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2015, 01:10
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Like a lot of people, melatonin gives me bad dreams.

I've been taking Zolpidem for years. I shouldn't, but it helps me rest my back and that is the one formula for it feeling okay-ish, the next day.

I used the drug at first because of its very fast action. A bit under the tongue is even quicker. What you must NOT do is take the American Ambien CR and then do anything meaningful the next morning. The Controlled Release follows a quick zap followed by a trickle and this means some is still going in ages (maybe hours) later. I read one statement in the US that said you are THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY TO HAVE A ROAD ACCIDENT the next morning, after taking it. I believe that statement.

I break a 10mg in half and then break that into about two bits. That 2 1/2 mg is usually enough but the broken off bit is there for the tongue method should I remain awake.

Now, other considerations: Hypnotic group. Mmmm, my (qualified) son and I agree it probably alters certain periods of dreaming. Dreams seem important in laying down or sorting of memory. We think zolp reduces our memory's quality. Hard to quantify, but in the periods I can kick the stuff I feel generally just a little better with tasks that make mental demands.

Also: In the long dark hours that I dread these days, I feel my ability to form images and have peaceful thoughts is not as good. Though that may be due to depression, or even old age. I'm not really addicted but kind of hooked because it's not long before I'll say, Oh, bo-locks, let's get out of here, and reach for the tablets.

Old age and booze. So many of these tablets say, no alcohol. Well, that ain't going to happen so the science gets slewed, but the worst thing is falling asleep in front of the telly. Several of my non-drinking buddies are doing the same in their mid-seventies and it's a B!##$y nuisance. Wide awake at midnight and would see the sunrise without zolp.

However, of all the sleep aids I've tried, Zolpidem seems to be the quickest, the cleanest recovery (non CR) and feeling the best the next day. All sleepers are a compromise but this is liveable-with. But, I would fight to keep it down to 3 nights a week, and long breaks off it if you can. It's just too easy to have an off switch as powerful as this, and that temptation is the problem.