PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 28th Jan 2015, 19:09
kilwhang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changi

This thread is certainly stirring some memories...........

Earlier, AA62 was reminiscing about his time on 48 Sqn at Changi and I'm sure that others remember the Changi Slip.
That was before my time on the Herc but from 2008 to 2012 I was a Ground School Instructor (Embraer 170/190) in Singapore. Our school was just behind Changi Prison and I lived 2 miles from Changi Village.
Being a bit of a history buff, I spent a lot of time wandering around Singapore looking for old service establishments.

Those of you who have been to SIN recently will know that the island has changed radically and is almost un-recognisable. However, Changi Village and Changi Point are almost unchanged.

To illustrate my point, here are two maps:
The first is part of a map given to new arrivals at RAF Changi in 1971 -

The second is a map of how it is today -

If you look closely, you will see that all the roads keep their names (Halton Rd, Cranwell Rd, Sealand Rd, etc) and nearly all the original buildings are still there. Most of the married quarters are now holiday chalets and the barrack blocks are now private apartments.

Most of the buildings are in good condition but one or two have suffered.

This used to be HQ FEAF:

Two buildings which look a bit sad are, Changi Hospital:

and the Fairy Point Officer's Mess:

Luckily, these last two are Listed Buildings so will, eventually, be looked after.

More pics to follow...........

BTW, if anyone wants a copy of the complete 1971 map, just PM me.

Last edited by kilwhang; 29th Jan 2015 at 12:09.