PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 28th Jan 2015, 17:45
mr ripley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kigali

Smuj,
That brings back memories. I seem to remember that we had more crews than aircraft and it was a bit of a bun fight to fly.
The flight across the Serengeti and the view of Kilimanjaro were amazing.
Kigali was interesting, I believe one of the cos was going for a pee near the tower and had to be stopped because he was going into a minefield where to local dogs had been blown up recently.

What I remember the most was the trip back. Albert was full of crews stretched to, in hammocks, in fact in all sorts of places. One aircraft went direct to Cyprus and we dropped into Jeddah to pick up some GEs then arrived at Akrotiri for an expected quick turn round with the slip crews in place.
However the movers had other ideas and we were sent for brekky and the aircraft were loaded with cars.
I seem to believe there was a near mutiny. When we finally got on a few hours later there was hardly any room at all.

I wouldn't believe any stories about cars having flat batteries and the odd unfortunate scratch.

What I would say that there weren't any mythical slabs in the cars.