PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Staffing levels
Thread: Staffing levels
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2015, 14:08
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Jimlad (and Alfred)

I dug out the Grade Descriptions and I have two versions. The latest is after the concept of TG1 and TG2 was introduced, thus creating 2 grades between P/E and PTO (Grade D).

The SPTO description was updated to say "An SPTO (C1) technical manager may have a total staff charge of 200-700". (So my memory wasn't too bad). It differentiates between this type of SPTO post and a "Construction, Maintenance or Servicing" environment were "it would be unusual for numbers supervised to exceed 100-150".

Interestingly, an SEO (also a C1) is very different, merely saying "it is not unusual for a staff charge in excess of 100".

Remember, these are not MoD documents but, as I said, issued by the Treasury and supposed to be used by MoD when grading a new post. Think about it. When you last created a new post in your team, how was it graded? You, or your bosses, must have had some criteria to work to. At a more senior level, someone had to seek authority to increase the staff numbers, and hence the wage bill; and would have to justify both. Who makes that decision and polices correct grading on behalf of the Government? The Treasury. But, as we all know, this is widely ignored and has been for a long time. My point is that, in the Treasury's mind the MoD wage bill should be £X, based on these Grade Descriptions and staff numbers. If posts are inflated then the cost comes out of the overall budget. We aren't just given more money. In practice, what suffers is numbers. As you'll know, Bernard Gray seems to have renegotiated this for the first time in decades and has been granted greater flexibility regarding starting pay for new recruits. Presumably, the Treasury will update these Descriptions, in consultation with Trades Unions.