PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Staffing levels
Thread: Staffing levels
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2015, 13:32
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen,

While not disagreeing with Pheasant, I'd stress that the issue of 'rank creep' is a truly tri-service one. There's also the issue that 'rank creep' leads to overmanning, as the rigidity of the military rank structures generates extra posts.

Take a job that's being done by an SO2 and (for example) make it an SO1 post, and you will almost always see two SO2 posts appear in the new organisation to justify the SO1 post - 'one on one' rank structures being deemed inefficient. Of course adding an extra SO2 post to shore up a new SO1 post isn't inefficient in the least - as long as you're not the one paying the manpower bills.

As far as JFH went, I can testify to the fact that compared with some of the other FJ staffs at High Wycombe, JFH was a model of 'lean' management. (but still, in my view, overmanned). I can also confirm that keeping it that way was an uphill battle. Every few months, I would be approached by the HQ staffs and asked whether the JFH engineering team required additional SO2s. I always refused, not to 'cut off my nose to spite my face' but because I honestly didn't need any more SO2s.

Good thread, this - come on, let's have some more examples of 'rank creep' from those who are actually doing the business out there.

Best regards as ever to those doing the essential work

Engijnes