PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 28th Jan 2015, 11:18
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAT 5 - an excellent summary of where we are today People scared to manually fly, either through lack of familiarity, fear of QAR monitoring, get rusty..

Again I am asking, in "Normal Law" with all protections working, if you get caught in a 3000 feet/min updraft (for argument's sake) and you feel the aircraft is not reacting properly for what ever reason it (the aircraft's FCCs) think, can you just turn "OFF" the AP, AT and FDs and fly the darn thing to a pitch/attitude with a manual power setting on the engines to prevent or reduce the rate of climb or will the FCCs say tough luck pilot I'm still deciding what's best?
If the Aircraft is serviceable, and you do not demand an "outrageous" attitude or speed, then yes - and indeed it is "Airbus Golden Rule 1" I think: If you don't like or understand what it's doing, take control.

I likely confused you with the earlier reply because the simple answer would be picked up by the Airbus bashers that in exceptional circumstances, the one word answer would not be correct