PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR...VFR...Oops..*gulp* Hello IFR... Literally Out of the 'Blue' (Sky pun intended)
Old 28th Jan 2015, 07:53
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good long read through the GA AAIB reports for the last thirty years will give you an insight into some of the perils of scud running. There's plenty of bent aeroplanes, pilots and passengers written up in there.

I wouldn't mind betting that if some of those pilots were able to communicate by any means other than a Ouija board they would loudly voice the opinion that scud running is really rather daft.

A few years ago I heard a pilot in trouble on her QXC. She was in cloud and scared stiff. What followed was a master class in controlling by East Midlands approach. She very sensibly called for help as things went wrong and landed (beautifully) to applause from the 12 jets all waiting at the hold to go. As someone said earlier, when the weather goes wrong controlled airspace is the least of your worries, and no controller or pilot should really have to listen to the last panicking radio calls of a pilot knowing they are about to die. (I have, and I never want to again)

If you think its' all going wrong it probably already has. Get help early, don't be frightened to tell someone you need that help. If you have a second radio keep it tuned to 121.5, there are people on the end of that frequency with remarkable equipment and abilities, but they do like you to call as early into your problem as you can.

Some of us on this forum have just got licenses, some hold ATPLs with thousands of commercial and GA hours, I've got just over 15 000 hours, a fairly well defined sense of self preservation, and enough knowledge to know that if I feel I'm working hard then something, somewhere is wrong. That sixth sense comes with age and experience, but if a little voice is saying "something ain't right here chief" listen to it and get out of where you are. That voice doesn't tend to lie.

SND