PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Credible bomb threats on Delta & Southwest flights:
Old 28th Jan 2015, 07:01
costalpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was co-pilot on a flight that returned to the gate in ATL a LONG time ago because of a threat of a bomb on board, and, as it happened, the chief pilot of the airline, (a regional carrier that morphed into a large international carrier way down the long road) happened to be on the jump seat.

we pulled up to the gate, let the passengers off, and the capt. and the chief pilot (whose name WAS Bubba as a matter of fact) then decided to have what seemed to me an extended conversation. Since I was trapped in the co-pilots seat, I had to make at the specific point that I wanted out in order to get out; it was a M 404 and the chief pilot was sitting in the seat that blocked my exit.

I think I was diplomatic about it, but over the years I told and re told the story, and got what I thought was a lot of laughs at the Captains and Bubba's expense.

It WAS, after all, a bomb threat.

Anyways, after reading the cavalier dismissal by so many here, I now understand why Bubba and Captain, both of whom I liked and respected, were so nonchalant about the "bomb threat". They must have subscribed to the theory that an advertised bomb threat wasn't much of a "threat" after all.

I subscribed to the theory that I wanted off the old bag of bolts asap.

Oh, and btw, before you experts get all huffy about procedures, and the facts of this story as I relate it, keep in mind: you weren't there. I was.