PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 28th Jan 2015, 01:17
maggotdriver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
FullWings completely agree.

Yes, but this may not work immediately in an aircraft with hard envelope protection which is suffering from erroneous inputs. It may be trying to follow a trajectory that is completely wrong for the situation and making it harder to recover by doing things like trimming the stabiliser in the opposite direction needed.

By the time this has been diagnosed by the crew, probably during a time of very high workload in the middle of an upset, it leaves little time for remedial action. “Known power setting and attitude” will not recover the aircraft from a stalled condition. Much more aggressive inputs are required.
These quotes are from (mine and others') posts about 2337. Whilst we're speculating on possibilities, I think we should also look at this in the broader discussion of modern Flt Cntrl laws.

Ice crystal icing, blocked pitots, the aerolane thinks it oversped, then pulled up, overriding the pilots, stalled, got confused and gave up.

How many Airbus incidents have had confusion over what the laws were meant to be doing in the control environment? And, yes I have nearly 5000 hours flying the euro version.
60% of known ice crystal icing events occur in the tropics. If the rate is beyond the ability of the pitot system then I would infer that the blockage would occur at almost identical times and magnitude because of the homogenous nature over the small frontal area of the aircraft. Thus, resulting in an artificial overspeed due to it climbing. It is very difficult for any pilot to do something when the systems designed to protect you are now putting you in harm's way, against your intentions. I've never had it in the aeroplane but have done it in the sim and its the most uncomfortable feeling having FULL forward stick whilst the aeroplane pitches up opposite to your inputs.
Unfortunately, if your climbing, its night time, your looking at the radar, there's associated flashing from lightening, you're thinking about your clearance (or lack thereof), turbulence and the aircraft now "detects" an overspeed... Goodluck! You need to turn off multiple parts of the FCCs or the inputs i.e. ADR an IR (from OEBs) to regain the ability for you to simply level off and set the correct attitudes and power settings. This is from the Airbus manuals - combine voting logic from the section in the FCTM with Overspeed Protection from the Normal Law section in the Ops Manual, throw in a little knowledge about what happens in a climb with blocked pilot tubes and the rest looks like a replay of AF447.

Now, I'm not saying this is what happened but it is feasible and IMHO the most probable scenario. When the pilots most need manual control of the aeroplane, it can be taken away from them. Only, to be handed back when the AoA senses the CA has been exceeded. Helping or hindering?

Something is flawed in the design. Why can't you select the "big,red button" sure, its connected to the ACARS so the company, NTSB and Airbus will all be wanting to know why you did it but you should be able to!