PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 28th Jan 2015, 00:23
FoxHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contact Approach
I'm sure there have been more accidents due to your '90 degree bank' idea.
I'm a 320 driver and can only say that the aircraft is a joy to fly, those slamming it on here are either misinformed or have never flown her.
Funny you have a problem with the 90 degree bank. I was a test subject in the creation of an jet upset training program being put together. At the time I was a current MD11 Captain with a 40 year airline career with an all civil background. My fellow test subjects had varied backgrounds. One was a 757 Captain, ck Airman former USAF/ANG A7 pilot. One a 777 F/O Major US airline. One flew the A320 for a low cost airline, unknown background. I believe there were two others that I don't recall their background. I recall one of the first things we did was to go to the trainer which was set up like a B757, but single pilot. A big link trainer on a small centrifuge. The pilot sat in the seat and the computer flew the device to the desired position and then the pilot received the command Recover. I recall one of the events was around 80 degrees nose up wings level. How would you recover? Another was about the same, but inverted! How would you recover? The most challenging was simulated wake turbulance at I recall 6000 feet. After all the bumps the simulator had a bank of 120 degrees to the right, aircraft nose down of 20 degrees, airspeed had increased from 250K passing 340k increasing when the machine says "Recover". Only two of us managed not to hit the ground the first try. The trainer had a visual and conditions were CAVOK. I stood at the operator panel an watched the A320 guy hit the ground 6 times in a row. He never had a successful recovery.