PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2015, 21:01
Lord Gumboil Jnr.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neile 1

I reply as a lifelong supporter of Southend Airport but, regardless of that, I have to agree with your observations regarding careless errors. There appears to be no quality control/proof reading in much of what Stobart's announce. To err is human, but there really is no room for error in this business. There has been a lack of professionalism in several other matters, which I fear will possibly not have portrayed them in the best light. For much of last year the Dublin route which was up to 3 flights in each direction daily, was listed in their 'Pocket Destinations Map & Guide' as being 3 flights a week! This error was pointed out on several occasions, but to no avail. The offending publication should have been withdrawn immediately, or at the very least amended, but no, it continued to be available to the public for months. How many passengers were lost due to this error, one can only guess.

I despaired when, some months ago on BBC News, Andrew Tinkler announced that the new routes to be operated in partnership with Flybe were to be flown by 'propeller aircraft'. I am convinced that had Alastair Welch still been there, he would have spoken of them as modern 'turbo-prop' or 'jet-prop' airliners. Regrettably, some members of the public still equate the notion of propeller planes as something only seen in a museum.

I will not go on about these things further, as unfortunately, my experience of communicating with other airports has also hardly been inspiring. I accept though, that it is easy being on the outside to feel that some things could be done differently. As for Southend, one is always very mindful of how Stobart's have saved the airport, but now having done that, sometimes let themselves down in other ways. Judging by some of the reports on this forum recently and other things I have heard, it does seem as though they may now be getting to grips with what needs to be done.