PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IL-62 question
Thread: IL-62 question
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2015, 20:31
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Interesting thread.
in my spotting days the 62 was always a favourite-a very good looking aircraft and some nice colour schemes -especially the Czech OK jets . A very cool spool up noise to prior to take off . Mind you the VC ten-especially the super also looked great with nose down stance and the howl building to thunder of the four conways .

I was lucky enough to fly on a 62, mildly anxious because of the exploding NK turbo fans, on a trip from London to Prague in the early 70s. Nicely furnished interior , nice crew , free wonderful Czech beer just after take off. A quiet relaxing plane to travel in as indeed the VC 10 was .

of course back in the day LHR had a wonderful selection of aircraft types on any given day which design advances and consolidation have caused to vanish so that essentially we live in a world of 737 -200s with ever increasing lengths and ever fatter engines. technological marvels but a bit boring.

I cannot recall seeing a LOT 62 but Aeroflot and CSA yes , and being thrilled to run into an Interflug example doing a charter to Paris, best of all a North Korean State transport at Arlanda and most recently-though a few years back a Russian State at LHR.. Did anyone other than the three mentioned operate into LHR-