PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fleet grounded at 7kts??
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2015, 20:02
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So much dispute, so little facts.

First, there is a big difference in POHs from different built years. The older POHs of 150 and 172 state only a demonstrated crosswind up to which is has been shown to land safely for an average pilot. Later POH set a clear limit, do not exceed certain crosswind. I remember the SP I took training had a clear limit of, I think it was 17 knots, but the old one I am flying now has this legendary demonstrated sentence instead. Same is true for 152s - the "ordinary" ones have a limit, but the F Aerobats have no sentence limiting crosswind. So, it depends on the correct POH wether it is legal to land and within stated operational limits or not - in the end.

Then we have the question where to fly. I dont know the airfield in question, but had quite some fields where certain wind direction where simply unflyable due to obstacle turbulence.

Last and most important - upon what pilot we are talking? Low time students I would not force into strong crosswind, while high time students should go up to the limits of POH to get the feeling for real crosswind. But all depends on the guesstimate of the FI and his knowledge of the student. Pilots will encounter it later on and it is always better to do with an instructor first ... Or are we talking charter? Then it gets obscure as the flight safety is solely on the discretion of the pilot. And yes, I did landings with up to 35G40 knots crosswind with a C172, but after this I knew I could do if needed, but will do much to avoid it.