PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IL-62 question
Thread: IL-62 question
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2015, 18:59
Tu.114

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, the Ilyushin shares the overall configuration with the VC-10, but aerodynamically and technically, the two types are rather different. To begin with, the fuselage has a circular cross-section on the Ilyushin vs. the double-bubble on the VC-10. The wings are not nearly similar either; compare the elaborate system on the VC-10 with the more simple single-slotted flaps and the sawtooth instead of the slats on the Ilyushin. In fact, in Interflug service the Ilyushin was noted for its rather high approach speed - not really a sign of a "hot and high" craft like the VC-10. Other external details like the only slightly swept tailfin and more rectangular horizontal stabilizer of the Ilyushin vs. the whale fluke of the VC-10 do not point to a carbon copy either. Neither does the retractable tail wheel on the Ilyushin - the engineers at Vickers apparently saw no problem with tail tipping during loading and offloading unlike their Soviet colleagues.

Navigation system wise, the Il-62 seemed to struggle with the low-tech I-11 INS equipment (coming from Soviet nuclear subs!) that not only is said to have taken ages to erect, but also required loading and boarding to wait until the INS was up and running. For North Atlantic routes, Interflug used CMA-771 Omega navigation devices bought from the Canadian class enemy, because the INS could not provide the required accuracy. As only a few of these units were available, they were rotated between aircraft as needed.

And I also have not heard about the VC-10 being plagued with the Conways not reaching their advertised TBOs unlike especially the NK-8 on the non-M Ilyushins. LOT had to find out the hard way that there is a reason why a NK8 should not be on the wing respective tail for too long.

But nevertheless, and here I better don my asbestos suit against the inevitable flames, I think the Il-62 surpasses the VC-10 a little bit in elegance and good looks.