PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - rotax 377 maint manual.
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2015, 18:03
The Flying Pram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bloody hate 2 strokes. Temperamental of devices
I would have to disagree - I survived almost 20 years and some 1200 hours sitting in front of a Rotax 447 (a flexwing with the engine at the back). The only time I landed deadstick was on the few occasions when I deliberately switched it off. It suffered a number of misfires at one point, which I eventually traced to faulty wiring in the magneto, but that could have applied to any petrol engine. Regular maintenance (and use), combined with good quality oil and fuel make all the difference.

As mine was petroil pre-mix lubricated, I also used to keep some power on during descent and landing. This goes against popular theory and tuition, but I counter that by wondering why so many 2 strokes suddenly seize at the worst possible moment! Long periods with virtually no oil, whilst the prop is driving the engine significantly above ground idle revs is asking for trouble. I've also seen supposedly "expert" pilots start up a cold engine, taxy 20 yards to the threshold, and then take off after the most cursory of checks. That's the sort of treatment that leads to 2 strokes getting a bad reputation...

By the way, I have some old manuals and documentation, if you get stuck.

Last edited by The Flying Pram; 28th Jan 2015 at 13:10.