PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Staffing levels
Thread: Staffing levels
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2015, 16:29
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Well said Engines. You know I agree with you about DGA(N). Especially under Ron Holley.

I shall stick my neck out here and say that I doubt if there is a single technical grade at AbbeyWood today who satisfies the "Grade Description" for his/her grade. Do the Services have a similar "Rank Description"? For example, the direct entrant grade in DE&S (C2, aka HPTO/HSO) is required to have demonstrated the ability to manage 200 staff. For a C1 that is 600. Similarly, a C2 avionic engineer is also required to have managed projects across all disciplines (software, radar, ELINT, nav etc), in every stage of the procurement cycle, before promotion to C1. Step forward anyone in DE&S who satisfies that criteria.

In 1989, IPTLs were HPTO/C2. For many, this would be their 3rd grade as a team leader. In the "new" 1999 model they were typically UG6, 3 grades higher, with smaller teams and less responsibility. As you say, grades have been inflated in certain areas, while ignoring the Grade Descriptions. How many even know they exist!? I know from first hand experience this is one reason why the Treasury have a downer on MoD, as the Descriptions are issued by HMT and all tied to the expected wage bill. Grade inflation means a bigger wage bill, and less for kit. I read recently that this is going to get even worse with new "pay flexibility". That will really p*ss off those in post who find themselves earning >25% less and expected to do their new colleague's job as he hasn't a clue. I don't mind paying more for proven excellence and competence. But at the moment we're talking about paying more for the unproven.

I recall one 39-strong IPT with 15 of them comprising the "Management Board". I imagine someone will beat that ratio!