PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced landing discussion re wheels up or wheels down
Old 27th Jan 2015, 05:36
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forced landing discussion re wheels up or wheels down

The latest ATSB Short Investigation Bulletin has a report on a Beech Staggerwing accident.

See: Investigation: AO-2014-098 - Engine failure involving a Beech Aircraft Corp D17-S, VH-FNS, 12 km ESE of Bunbury Airport, Western Australia on 31 May 2014

Allowing for the fact it is a "Short" investigation, I wonder if the full investigation will discuss the pros and cons of a forced landing with wheels down as against landing wheels up, as in the case of this accident. Of course if gliding distance to the forced landing area is a factor to be considered, then usually best gliding speed and leave the gear up for least drag is normally an important consideration.

On the other hand, once over the field with altitude to spare, consideration of the advantage of wheels down is important. For example, availability of wheel braking and energy absorption on a rough surface.

The ATSB report mentioned the pilot elected to keep the landing gear retracted but did not say on what factors the pilot based his decision. Well I suppose it was a "short" investigation. That seems a pity, as much depends on the adequacy of training the pilot had received in the past on operation of retractable gear aircraft. And that includes if that Design Features training had adequately covered the factors to be considered when deciding to land wheels up or down. I believe very few flying instructors know about these factors; especially junior instructors who, for no fault of their own, often lack real world experience beyond their own CPL.

That said, there is no shortage of information on the internet regarding wheels up or wheels down in a forced landing, so ignorance is not really a valid excuse