PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Request vs Require.
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2015, 01:46
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
How are they queue jumping if they'r ready before you? If they're not ready before you but it assists ATC with the traffic flow due to the wake separation requirements or the departure tracking issues then that's not queue jumping either.
Keg I have been ready many times in SYD when you have a 737, DHC-8, and SF340 call ready after me and use the various intersections on 16R to get way before me. Thats life, I just wait until ATC says I can go. I dont bleat commercial advantage, or start singling out operators because I have to wait a few minutes. I want full length, so I wait, no problems.

Now because I want full length, are people going to start complaining that we are inept by not using intersection departures ? You know a Qantas or Virgin domestic A330 uses the short runway or an intersection for departure, that is the benchmark everyone should follow ?

When it suits, "traffic flow", "separation requirements", "departure tracking" are acceptable reasons to be put ahead, and similar happens on the arrival, but somehow the occasional heavy is the cause of all of the problems that started this thread off ?

The sad Australian sense of entitlement and needing someone to blame has raised its ugly head again, I go when ATC says I can. I don't give a toss if I woke up first, got to the airport first, got my coffee first, get my ATIS first, got my PDC first, push-back first, taxi first, or ready first, it is not a competition to me. The reality is, those using intersection departures will often get put ahead as ATC can plug holes with them. Fair enough, ATC have the big picture, not me.

ATC have their plan, and their big picture, my job it to convey what I need from them. I dont tell them how to do their job, nor do I think I am any more or less important than any of their other customers. I just go with the flow, with traffic density increasing, delays are going to get worse. Those bitching bettys who cannot adapt to the way things are now, lookout in 5-10 years when its even worse.

For those who are unaware the departure sequence is based on the 'ready' call not taxi clearance.
No, its not. We would wait a lot longer if that was the case. The departure sequence is based upon what ATC sees as being the best fit and their priorities, hence the C in ATC is not a four letter word. The first skygod to call ready does not win a prize. The number of times I have seen in my career numnuts call ready thinking that is the case, then being caught out when ATC in reply says line up for an immediate thinking they would have more time (not actually being ready) because their perception is who calls ready first gets added in that order. Ready means ready, not add me to the list.

So that would be the "Ready on reaching" call or even worse still....
"Fully ready on reaching"...
It does not happen in Australia often, overseas if they have traffic on final ATC may ask you if you are "Fully ready on reaching" etc on the way to the hold to get you away before the arrival lands.

I love it even more overseas when ground tells an aircraft to monitor tower on frequency xyz.abc, then on the frequency change numnuts transmits their callsign being fully ready. Its great to hear the wit of some controllers when they explain in no uncertain terms what the word monitor means, apparently it is not the thing ontop of your computer.

Last edited by swh; 27th Jan 2015 at 02:02.