PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2015, 00:02
James331

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
James, you have a real negative view on Africa. It obviously wasn't a place suited for you.
In regards to the cost of living, the pay is actually quite good. I lived quite well when I was in Maun.
The pay was comparable to an entry level airline job in Canada or USA with a much lower cost of living.
Quite the contrary, I loved Africa, and probably will be back in December for the skydive boogie, that said this ain't my first BBQ and I'm not wearing rosy glasses.

So who were you working for where you had a union, benefits and made 36,000USD per year?

I can't speak for Maun, but Namibia...

If you go to the mall or most markets in Windhoek, pull into the parking lot and tell me how the cost of living is so low, look at all the over priced pickups all over town, all the rovers, Benz, BMWs, new imports, etc. You WILL be making less than the average person in Windhoek, and that's just math.

Cell phones cost more and a plan is more than in the US, gas is a little more, clothes are ALOT more, rent is about the same as where I used to live on the coast, and you're making about 2k USD per month.

The only things which are less would be booze and meat.

AGAIN, it's a great experience and a very good idea for that first job, if you're going to live below average, better to be below average in Windhoek and hang out with all the pilots, it beats living below average back home and the flying in Africa will put you ahead of the folks back home.

It's a great place but this ain't the "promised land" for green horn pilots.