PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More KC-46A woes....
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2015, 15:26
sandiego89

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
ORAC and sandiego89, I can't elaborate for what should be obvious reasons, but there are a lot of 'provisions' on the KC-46 that have nothing to do with the aerial refueling mission or hauling cargo/personnel.
So I wouldn't be at all surprised to see other variations of the KC-46 in the future.
Exactly while I surmised that there may be mission growth. It obviously has some extra "stuff".

I just do not see a bizjet size aircraft being the the solution for some of the current fleet. I agree some missions such as theatre ELINT and range clearance (and you only need a handfull of aircraft for range clearance) are a good fit for biz jets, and 737 a good fit for clipper C-40 replacement, I still see a market for some larger specialized aircraft. I also surmise that in today's threat envionment a special transport replacement (air force 2, head of delegation, DOS, etc) a hardened VIP transport based on the 46 may be attractive.

While improved black boxes and automation may allow for smaller aircraft, some roles still require a good sized crew and endurance- so a larger platform may be able to offer that. I'm not sure we have turned the corner on data linking everything. Like in a AWACS role, there is something about having the controllers and monitors all in the same tube, and relief crews for long missions. Yes I know some bizjets have impressive range. I think the Japanese AWACS may be a model.

Specialized subversions of an already "proven" aircraft (which I have no doubt the 46 will eventually be) may fare better that a "lets place of bunch of black boxes on bizjet" for future programs. Surely endurance and reduced risk will be good marketing points.

Last edited by sandiego89; 26th Jan 2015 at 15:39.