PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Apprenticeships Graded 'Outstanding' By Ofsted
Old 26th Jan 2015, 03:35
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 117 Likes on 84 Posts
" Up to 1969/1970, the RAF had an apprentice scheme to produce 5-trade [airframe/propulsion/electrical/air comms/air radar] "super-techs". Following a 5-year course, they graduated as a cpl and were boarded for promotion to sgt every 6 months whilst undergoing "improver training" on units.

I beg to differ, quite considerably in fact.

The "super techs" did a 3 year course at Halton which included airframe / engine / electrical / armourer trades and passed out as Cpls, thereafter becoming part of the then time promotion scheme, so in that sense, yes they did get promoted to Sgt / C/T in their 20's.

There were no avionic "super techs" at Halton however, all the avionics trades went through Cosford.

The Craft apprentices did a 2 year course, departing as J/T's and thereafter went onto the same time promotion scheme, in theory doing 3 years as a J/T, then 4 years to Sgt and 5 years to C/T, all promotion being based on the passing the relevant trade exams and, getting the required assessments.

There were also, for a short period, Mechanic apprentices who did a 1 year course, passing out as an S.A.C but with enhanced opportunities to be selected for what was then called the fitters course to become a J/T on successful completion.

To save you asking, I was there at the time departing as a J/T as were several others who post on this site.

Last edited by Krystal n chips; 26th Jan 2015 at 04:13.