PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 25th Jan 2015, 16:23
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peekay4
I'm assuming you're not a pilot? Multi-engine aircraft are designed / certified such that above Vmca speed (which is lower than takeoff speed), there will be sufficient control authority even with the most critical engine out and the other engine set to full thrust. So at M0.67 losing an engine (by itself) should not cause a fatal accident.

Now, at high-angle nose up, if the airspeed decays rapidly while conversely the AoA increases rapidly (resulting in a stall), then a one-engine-out situation at that point becomes deadly.
Yes I am aware of the certification of twins and that many of them will reduce maximum available power on a good engine in asymmetric etc.,

But you then go on to agree with what I proposed.

As you are so experienced with A-320 you will know what the minimum safe operating speed is at FL360+. Give the aircraft being 15deg nose up and M0.67/ 205KIAS and autopilot out in AoA law (assuming similar behavior to the quoted report) as you say going asymmetric with a compressor stall one side and full thrust the other could be deadly. It's not only drag - there will be pitch up forces from the live engine and pitch down from the stalled engine. You could also consider what the 'safe control authority' is up in 'coffin corner' at greatly reduced airspeed and what happens if someone is too hasty applying 'full' control authority.