PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reubens take on RAF in dogfight over Northolt
Old 25th Jan 2015, 11:02
Roadster280

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenparry
RR flight code? Oh really? The many that I operated all had BY flight numbers.
Yes, really. From Luton to Gütersloh and Wildenrath. Overnight at Hendon, early morning flight from LTN to Germany. RAF and/or RCT movers at both ends, RR flight code. This would have been 1985ish. Not being RAF myself, I found it a little weird at Wildenrath with warry-looking Harriers on the airfield and a white whale of a BY 737 among them.

Edited to add: Thinking about it, perhaps we are both right. From the operator's perspective, just another flight, so a BY flight number, and after the return leg back to LTN, perhaps the next flight would be to Malaga full of holidaymakers rather than servicemen and families. From the passengers' perspective, boarding cards issued by JSATC, all military (or families), and RR code on them. A codeshare, if you will. As a passenger, all I know is my boarding cards definitely had RR on them. But then I was all of 17 at the time and knew very little about air travel. A couple million miles later, that's probably still true

Last edited by Roadster280; 25th Jan 2015 at 11:14.