PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Request vs Require.
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2015, 09:14
Compylot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What an interesting discussion gentlemen.

It is providing a fascinating insight into the different personality types evident within the cockpit.

First we have the "Commander". As epitomized by ACMS, leadsled
(tootlepip!), Rex havoc, 404 titan etc. I AM the COMMANDER, I AM in
control and I AM THE CAPTAIN! Whatever I request or require I WILL GET because I AM THE COMMANDER! And I will back my decisions by pointing you to the fact that as COMMANDER I need to find the path of least resistance to minimise the threats on my operation AS COMMANDER! Most often these personality types are the result of early CRM training and are a product of having been told over and over that effective CRM is the result of being assertive, speaking up, being in control etc. I can imagine these blokes are likely in the twilight of their careers, mid 50s, approaching retirement and whatever they have to say to make them squint less out the window when trying to fly the PAPI is fair game!

Then we have the 'cobbers", (beer baron, glekichi, bentrees, GA trojan) probably mid 30s, working for 'the other domestic' new "commanders", no nonsense but not so much as to take it to the 'nth' degree to use any excuse to get what they want. Unlike the "Commanders" the cobbers are looking at making maximum use of efficiency because they won't be browsing airliners.net or pprune at the hotel but are still probably young enough to have a mistress waiting for them in the lobby lounge.

Then you have the Kegs, brought up from day one on 'effective' crew management - the peacekeepers. A bit like Schrödinger's cat, both
agreeing and disagreeing with you until you ask. (Bless the Qantas psychometric testing!)

Whatever gentlemen, 6 pages of fascinating discussion yet I haven't seen one Jepp reference..please can someone paste a detailed AIP reference complete with italics and "my bolds"...?

(but I must say I was heartened to see at least one put down regarding flying C150s, yes 10 points to you ACMS!)

Looking forward to the next 6 pages