PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Command piston vs Copilot turbo prop - which do the Airlines prefer?
Old 31st Oct 2001, 03:34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for all the replys. At the moment I'm only on pistons and it may stay that way for a while with the job situation over here. I've just always wondered about the value that you would get out of doing 1000 or 500 multi IFR command vs the two crew stuff. What I'm trying to say is that I thought it would be better to have been in the single crew IFR situation so that later in the career if need be, you could draw on the experience. I suppose though - the airlines decide what they want and at this point in time the GA flying seems to be losing its gloss (see Dunnunda where a rumour has started about QF taking only cadets and no GA in 2 yrs)

Quite frankly I think I'd be a little useless to a captain on a turboprop under the IFR as my experience is in this area is limited to my training. Even more so if I just compare the lessons I've learned under the VFR in just 600hrs since my training..imagine IFR.

Scenario: A pilot with a fresh CPL MECIR is flying as co-pilot at night, in cloud and bad wx and suddenly finds him/herself in command as the captain is incapacitated. Is the sh*t going to hit the fan when they get to the minima - don't get visual and lose an engine? Now I know that when you get the stamp in your logbook it means that you can excercise the full priviliges as you've proved yourself capable - but wouldn't a little prior industry experience help rather than being totally fresh? Anyway, those are my thoughts.