PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 24th Jan 2015, 11:39
PT6Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:So let's assume a light piece of aircraft wreckage slowly sinksWhat do you call a "light piece of aircraft"? The tail section which has been recovered is weighing at least several hundreds kilograms and probably more than a ton. Once this kind of piece has sunk (less than 30m deph) in the mud and due to the shape of this part (asperity), I doubt that it could have been dragged along the bottom even with a 6kts stream.
What are you suggesting?
The tail section has a large surface area which would have been exposed to the current. Kind of like a sail. Therefore in a six knot current it would not take long for it to be moved some considerable distance away from other wreckage. Like the center section which is far heavier and less likely to be moved by the currents.
The pictures we have seen all point to the break up of the aircraft upon contact with the surface in a more or less level attitude.
The radome does not from what we have seen so far appear to have separated prior to this. However I have not seen all of it, and nothing should be dismissed yet.
With a six kts current and something as light as it is I am not surprised it has travelled so far!
Rudder and fin separation, did not occur as they are still attached to the rear fuselage. This "complete package" seperated on impact.