PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there a future for A380?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2015, 10:46
Andy_S

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by msbbarratt
Nearly always full A380s are a whole lot more profitable to run than half full 777s.
And the reverse is also true, of course...... Emirates have more 777's than A380's.

It strikes me that the A380 has a devoted fan base who simply refuse to acknowledge what's going on out in the real world.

Not only have sales been disappointing, they've pretty much dried up. No orders for a over a year, no new customers for over 3 years, and the most recent order is from a lease company who haven't found any customers for it. There have even been cancellations. That should tell it's own story. That and the fact that sales of the 787 panicked Airbus into developing the A350.

To say that the A380 has an unassailable position due to capacity restrictions at major airports is, IMO, only correct for what might be termed mega-hubs, and I think that's a limited market. The 777, 787 and A350 have been game changers in airline economics and have made 'thinner' routes viable without following the hub and spoke model.

As to it's popularity, I don't doubt that the A380 is popular with passengers. I've certainly enjoyed flying on it. But to suggest that passengers will almost demand to fly on it in preference to other aircraft types is rather misplaced. And airlines aren't particularly interested in what's popular with passengers, only in what's most economically efficient.

Does the A380 have a future? Probably, but not a glorious one. Even if it eventually breaks even, I can't see it being a money spinner for Airbus. I think they just called the market wrong on this one.