PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying on top of clouds...in VMC
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2015, 10:05
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scoobster

As a new PPL it is something we will all probably have played with at some time! I can remember as a basic new PPL climbing up through a large hole on top having been used to a perspective below clouds.
There is little problem if the cloud is well broken and it can be so broken that you can navigate with reference to the ground while being in excellent visibility.

But and here is the big caution I flew from the North West to Cornwall past Brecon many moons ago before the luxury of GPS. At first it was great not very high on top with well broken cloud and my destination clear.

the holes got smaller the cloud tops got higher and I found myself going higher to stay on top then no holes and a much higher altitude then i wanted with high terrain below.
i did a 180 and went back not having IFR skills or experience. I was lucky because the broken lower clouds were behind me but a 180 does not always guarantee that you will find what you left behind you so a big caution.

Nowadays we have all manner of navigation aids and pretty visual displays of where we are but they too can lead you into a false sense of security if you don't have the skills yet to back up those aids

So get some instrument training

Pace