PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 23:45
Danny42C

Chugalug,

Following the links you gave, and all the connected links they gave, I ended knowing a lot more about anti-gas measures now than ever I knew in the war. I vaguely recall that ARP wardens were supposed to rush about on their bikes, spinning their rattles and shouting "Gas, Gas !" through megaphones, and that we should all then don our gas-masks and (in the Services) put on our gas-capes, but that was about all. Oh, and if you were caught in a shower of gas, Wash it Off with Copious Quantities of Water (dive into the nearest Static Water Tank ?) - remember those ?

As for the tops of all pillar-boxes being painted a yellow which turned pink on contact with Mustard, I can't for the life of me ever seeing such a thing.

Fareastdriver,

Bit worried about your: "loft where I would stumble amongst the joists". Hope you weren't a big lad - or you were very careful where you put your boots (otherwise you might've made an undignified and uninvited arrival through a bedroom ceiling !)

Molemot,

Hard to think of any editor making a better job of his story than Reg himself has done here, but I suppose more detail has been added. I've asked my daughter to get it up for me on her Kindle. Thank you for the "steer".

MPN11,

It may have been against Regulations for your Father to have kept such a detailed record of his deployments (and all credit to him for doing so), but I don't think German Intelligence could learn any more from them than they already knew - almost any town in UK of some size would have AA defences. (And didn't all our [RAF issue] Logbooks have a "Record of Service" on the next-to-last page - mine has unit names and numbers, places and dates, for the whole of my flying career.

Cheers to you all, Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 25th Jan 2015 at 01:19. Reason: Speling !