PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDINBURGH - 2
Thread: EDINBURGH - 2
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 19:12
McTeir396

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I worked for BAA Scotland and I worked at EDI for many a year and I agree that everyone is allowed there opinion and equally people like yourself can prefer his view over mine, however unlike most people my views have internal knowledge and I actually can say with conviction that his points are factually incorrect.

After spending years working with committed people within BAA, many who remain to this day working at EDI for GIP and who helped make EDI a great airport, I take exception to opinions that are fact-less and slag off the brilliant work we undertook to make that airport the first class facility and Scotland's number one airport. The current GIP management team are all ex BAA staff for heaven sake. You would think by listening to yourself and others that GIP had done wonders when all they've done was to walk in to an airport at the top of its game winning awards right left and centre, riding high on highest passenger numbers in Scotland and to facilities which were among the most modern in Scotland. If you cant make a success from a flying start like that then your an idiot and don't deserve to work at EDI.

GIP then got a bit of good luck as the economy started to recover and the airlines BAA had been speaking to for many a year and who had already committed to flying from EDI once the economy recovered started to see signs of recovery in the market and bobs your uncle EDI gets a whole bunch of new routes. Now this does not mean that GIP didnt play their part attracting those airlines to EDI because they naturally did but dont ever rule out the substantial input BAA had in getting them in the door. Its also important to note that many of the deals airports gain take years to seal and I know on a few occasions it took nearly a decade to persuade an airline to operate from EDI.

So yes have your opinions and yes praise GIP but on BAA and there general management of EDI, I will challenge any nonsense written by individuals, including yourself who clearly know nothing about what BAA actually done and achieved and although BAA didnt always get it right (like GIP and there security recently) you would be misguided to believe that BAA had anything but the best intentions for EDI airport and I can speak with some credibility on that fact and with the evidence of EDI's dominance in Scotland under BAA management a subject of public record then people need to wake up and smell the reality of the outstanding success story which was BAA's control of EDI.