PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying on top of clouds...in VMC
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 17:54
Chilli Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mach - Question - Am I correct in saying that the 1500m refers to 'cloud passing horizontally' i..e directly in front of the nose etc?
Doesn't have to be cloud - heavy rain showers can reduce the visibility dramatically

Also in a 'mental capacity' - if the viz was to change in flight - how does one make an assessment of how far 1500m is?
Experience and practice

The PIC and myself both PPL's call in to F'Boro also mentioned 'PPL Qualified'.
From an ATC point of view we're not interested in your qualifications and ability until the poo hits the proverbial.

Just to clarify the discrepancy (forgive me, it is probably me being thick!) - wb9999 mentions the "in sight of the surface rule is no longer applicable.
I'm going by the latest copy of the ANO (CAP393), Schedule 7 (Licence privileges). If it has changed I'm happy to be corrected, but reading that it doesn't appear so.

Everything changes if you go above 3000 feet' - that's the transition altitude correct?
No - it's just a level above which things change. Transition Altitude is totally different, and is higher under certain pieces of airspace (6000ft within the lateral dimensions of the London TMA for example).