PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying on top of clouds...in VMC
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 17:43
Scoobster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just remember it's 'In Flight Viz' not Met Viz, so you have to be at least 1500m from the cloud in front of you at any time, and if you go above 3000' everything changes.
Mach - Question - Am I correct in saying that the 1500m refers to 'cloud passing horizontally' i..e directly in front of the nose etc?

Also in a 'mental capacity' - if the viz was to change in flight - how does one make an assessment of how far 1500m is?

I mean its not like you can say 6 car lengths = 1000 m etc.

Just curious if things were to suddenly go bellyache.. then flight safety can easily be compromised so in flight viz is one thing i want to be able to build up a picture of.

@Chilli Monster - The PIC and myself both PPL's call in to F'Boro also mentioned 'PPL Qualified'.

I certainly would not have been happy attempting it if I thought we would go enter IMC conditions.

Just to clarify the discrepancy (forgive me, it is probably me being thick!) - wb9999 mentions the "in sight of the surface rule is no longer applicable.

Chilli Monster - mentions you enter IMC if you lose sight of the surface - I can see how this would apply as if all you see if cloud below you then no way to remain "VMC" in the event of a forced landing.

Which is correct?

Scoob.