PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 17:22
AerRyan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aer Ryan - given that the following routes have all failed I'm not sure I share your optimism that FR operating PIK-SNN again is the answer...

EDI-SNN - Ryanair
EDI-SNN - Aer Lingus
GLA-SNN - Flybe
GLA-SNN - Aer Lingus
PIK-SNN - Ryanair
The two Ryanair routes were lost as a result of a dispute with routes at Shannon. The two GLA routes were in direct competition with the stronger daily EDI-SNN route. The EDI-SNN route was lost as a result of the base closure in SNN which was brought on by Ryanair.

IF it was that popular a route surely one of the above would be operating it this summer. I remember being on PIK-SNN a few times back around 2006/2007 and there were often only 60 or 70 people on board with flight prices at about £10 return. That didn't work back then and it won't work now either. Many, including myself, that were on the edge of Shannon's catchment area back then wouldn't bother with the place now with the M6 offering much easier access to Dublin from the west coast - so if anything the demand is even less now and operational costs would be higher.
EI wont operate because they dont have Aircraft at Shannon or Edinbrugh and they have all their aircraft being used. Flybe dont have spare aircraft and Ryanair will probably introuduce a Scottish route when they get aircraft to do this. Most of shannons customers dont live in the Galway/Mayo region, and the M6 is still quite a journey. Operational costs would be higher? I dont understand how besides regular inflation.

Ryanair might maybe just about manage to successfully operate EDI-SNN again three times as week if Shannon management let them use their airport for free or maybe even pay them a few quid to land there. That's about as much as can be sustained on Shannon to Scotland routes at this stage.
Really? I disagree. Ryanair will land at Shannon for free if they introuduce a scottish route, but even if they had to pay there is a market there.

In terms of the topic of the thread, Ryanair don't fly from PIK to Ireland any more.
I realise that, but PIK is a good airport not far from Glasgow and I cant see a reason for not using it.