PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe Wings 2015
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 15:50
2 Whites 2 Reds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early on as a Junior Quack I would agree but from the few school friends that became Doctors, once the Junior Doctor bit was done and they became either GP's or Registrar's, the endless compromises seem to have stopped and they're left alone to get on with their careers. To my knowledge, although I'm happy to be corrected, they're not asked to keep accepting relocations, poorer contracts and pay for training if they opt to move into a different field. It's no bed of roses in the early days for sure but once on their desired track they have all seemed to get better and better off every year. Can the same really be said in our game?

As I said, I don't have an axe to grind and have a great home life but I'm sure at some point I'll be expected to take another kick in the balls for an Airline. I hope not but it's certainly anticipated. With that in mind, people looking to embark on this career need to be aware of the potential pitfalls that may not have been entirely considered. While every career has its downsides, the potential land mines in aviation can be particularly frequent, wide ranging and damaging.

Thankfully Mrs 2W2R is very understanding but there's a limit to what I will put my family through in the name of aviation. My main point was that don't be frightened to admit that while you enjoy your job, you need to be in this for the money as well. Becoming a pilot at any cost has been the attitude of so many over the last decade and the airlines have exploited it. It's a big reason for the downward spiral of T's & C's. Being SOLELY in it for the cash will only lead to doom and almost certain disappointment but unless you're fortunate enough to be from money, you need to earn a living. Especially with the financial outlay that newbies are expected to cough up these days....what's an OAA / CTC course cost these days? £100k ish plus the type rating cost of £30k ish....that's alot of dosh to recoup and pay back.

Anyway, apologies for the thread drift. Have a good weekend all!