PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 21st century instrumentation
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 14:26
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started out on the classic (500/300) and then transitioned to a mix of classic and NG (700/800) until the classic was phased out. No we're phasing out the 737 altogether for the A320 which was our second fleet for the last 10 years or so anyway.

Most colleagues don't use the VSD (vertical situation display) much, but i grew accustomed to it and used it during approach and departure. It doesn't only provide a side view of the terrain, waypoints and restrictions, but an energy state view as well. And the added bonus is of course that one can have both a terrain and weather radar display at the same time, which is impossible with the usual depiction. Only downside is that the sideview of the terrain follows the current track, not the "magenta" line like it does on the 787.

I believe airbus copied that thing and it is available on the A380 and A350, but won't be retrofitted to the older planes. Then again, they all have very tiny screens to begin with and probably taking some away for a VSD wouldn't improve the overall display.