PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe Wings 2015
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 07:00
2 Whites 2 Reds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like most people, once you reach a certain point giving up isn't really an option in the medium term thanks to a flight training loan to pay back.

Would I go back to my previous career.....tricky one. I enjoyed my old job. Not on the scale that I enjoy my current job but then the enjoyment is limited to ME and not my family. My previous career provided a reasonable income and didn't require anything like the same sort of sacrafices as aviaiton. As you know, this industry is littered with divorcees who ultimately paid the price at home for the endless compromises.

If I had my time again would I be flying for a living......not on your nelly. I would have worked harder at school and been a Doctor which is actually what I dreamt of doing when I was younger.

Don't get me wrong, I love flying. Really I do. I genuinely look forward to going to work and actually not once have I ever felt like I'm at work when I'm at work (if that makes sense). The price to be paid for this enjoyment is at home but just how much can I ask of my family before I call it a day. I don;t have an axe to grind, I'm not unhappy with my lot and I don't resent airlines or the industry. But it's food for thought or you guys looking at this as a viable career. Some say take the rough with the smooth but the rough in aviation could lead to some pretty horrible places. As I say, Managing it is key.