PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDINBURGH - 2
Thread: EDINBURGH - 2
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 05:26
Callum Johnstone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you read the airport's press release it confirms there will be airbridges. The graphic doesn't show that level of detail. As for BAA , talk was cheap for them, but we shouldn't forget that before the competition commission gave them the boot they 'revised down' their projected numbers of passengers travelling on long haul flights at EDI. I don't know any serious commentator who would argue that EDI isn't many times better off under its new, independent regime. There is no way all the long haul growth EDI has seen in the last year or two would be happening under the old BAA monopoly, nor would they be investing in a trippling of capacity for long haul aircraft. The point about GIP is that even if their intention was to sell in a few years time, which I doubt as EDI was a 100% ownership opportunity, 'fattening up' the airport with new routes and new infrastructure would be an essential part of that process. By contrast, BAA had a vested interest in the pax decline they presided over in their final year, and in failing to make a meaningful investment in facilities as they were forced out. I really don't see very many people who use EDI or indeed who work there pining for the olden days.