PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia's most scenic airfields
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 04:47
Cloud Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Australia's most scenic airfields

I was having a discussion last weekend with a friend of my wives about flying small aircraft. She has done a few hours but never progressed. I asked her why expecting the usual answers of not enough time or money or family etc. But she surprised me from left field with her answer.

Airfields are boring un-scenic areas usually surrounded by flat boring countryside (she did her few hours in Shepparton and Horsham in Victoria so fair enough!).

I tried to explain to her about other country that is beautiful, even the Grampians just outside of Horsham but she would have none of it.

So to arm myself for her next visit and to try and get her back into it, I would love to know which strips/airfields/aerodromes/airports are Australia's most scenic. I don't care by what you judge them, just after something to try and get her back into it. Any photos you have would also be great I am sure.

I have tried to think of some myself. Certainly Camden with a few hills around is nice and it gives you access to Victor 1, dow to the Gong and across to the Blue mountains, but Bankstown is certainly crap.

Luskintyre with the green hills surrounding it is quite nice to me and the Hunter valley is very very green at present as well, but it is missing something. Williamtown itself is nothing to look at but the beach and Miall's lakes is great. But t my way of thinking what I think is needed is an airfield in the middle of beautiful country with beautiful country or water or whatever around it.

A lot of you guys have travelled far and wide around this great country of ours so I am hoping some of you may like to share your version of the most scenic airfields out there.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
CB